Sunday, August 29, 2010

Kanhaji shows me that sometimes friends come through better than family


Kanhaji always understood the value of friendships and that is why He maintained so many friendships - the gopas, the gopis, other famous friends of His - Arjuna for one, was His friend more than His cousin. We all know the value of good friends - they support us when we need help, sometimes even more than our family and relatives do. I once heard a quote, I dont remember who gave it, that friends are the family that God sent to us to earn instead of handing them to us on a platter. As with all relationships, we have to work really hard to make friendships work - we have to remember their important occasions and those of their children, spouses and other family members. We have to make an effort for their parents (when we are younger) and spouses (when we are older) to like us. We have to work hard to maintain these bonds sometimes, but, when we need them, they are there to lend a helping hand, a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, a hand to squeeze, an embrace to fall into and someone who will make us feel less lonely and insignificant in a world filled with many other people like ourselves. Our friends see the redeemable qualities in us even when we cant see them in ourselves, they try extra hard to make us feel better when we are down. They criticize us in gentle ways that show us the flaws in our personalities that need to be addressed.
Kanhaji, thank You for sending me my family, but I also want to thank You for sending me my many many friends who I love and who love me.
Jai Shri Krishna!

No comments:

Post a Comment