Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Be kind to all living creatures


I think one of the most important lessons both my grandmothers taught me was about respect for life - all life not just human life. They taught me to be kind to all living creatures and not do anything that will hurt a living being on purpose. I remember seeing someone beating their tied dog with a stick and the poor animal was crying out in pain. I was in a car on the road and the person was in their house and apparantely totally imune to the stares of people passing in their cars. I even saw a woman who was walking stop to berate the person and she was verbally abused and told to stay out of the person's business. How cruel. I know that animal cruelty is a big topic. But people cruelty is also something we should be concerned about. I think this post is linked to the earlier one I had about Kanhaji talking to and touching the lower caste woman. Sometimes we may be kind to animals and cruel to people. I think this is unacceptable.
Kanhaji teaches us to respect all life and that if any injustice is happening in this world - He Himself will come to take care of it or He will deal with it on His own. We are not to avenge anything or anyone. Just like He came to kill the evil Kans, he will take care of our troubles and punish the evil persons in this world. We just have to put our faith and trust in Him.
The picture I have included shows baby Kanhaji fascinated by a colourful parrot. I like it because it shows us that we must take the time to admire and appreciate living creatures, not just be afraid of them or see them as an annoyance.
Jai Shri Krishna!

No comments:

Post a Comment